Like Scoble, I’m not an American.
- I grew up in New York an lived in California, places that Sarah Palin considers unpatriotic and anti-American.
- My family background is Jewish and I’m an agnostic. As a non-Christian, I can’t be an American.
- I have friends who are Muslims.
- I believe in science & evolution, not creationism.
- I work for a Canadian company.
- I drive a Toyota Prius rather than a gas-guzzling American car.
- I support Barack Obama.
- I’m registered as a Democrat and I’m a card-carrying member of the ACLU.
I’ve always felt that patriotism is a stupid concept. It’s nothing more than a weapon to use against those we disagree with. No nation is any better or worse than any other. Patriotism can’t be forced. Kids shouldn’t be forced to recite words they don’t understand. We should earn their respect as a free society that values all people equally.
Any flag is nothing more than a meaningless symbol. Instead of worshiping the flag, we should hold up our constitution as our most precious symbol that sets us apart.
A political campaign that strives to deepen our divisions and says that some of us are less worthy and less “American” than others deserves to lose.